Stockport Liberal Democrats have reacted with shock and anger at news that Stepping Hill hospital is to slash hundreds of jobs and close a whole ward in an attempt to balance the books.
Stepping Hill hospital has admitted it has a deficit of over £40 million and every minute of every day it is losing £75.
To deal with this, the hospital has briefed staff on a whole series of cuts. These include:
- Surgical ward B3 to close permanently on 29th July with the loss of 22 beds.
- A further 8 trauma and orthopaedic beds to close from October.
- 410 jobs to be lost (350 full-time equivalents).
- The North East corner of the hospital site to be sold.
- A big increase in staff car parking charges – effectively an additional tax on staff to raise money to fund the hospital
Cllr Laura Booth, who leads on hospital issues for Stockport Liberal Democrats, said “This is a bolt from the blue and we are desperately worried for the staff and patients who will be affected by these cuts.”
Lib Dem Parliamentary Candidate for Hazel Grove, Cllr Lisa Smart, said, "At the last General Election the Conservatives promised to fund our NHS properly with an extra £8 billion a year. It's increasingly clear that it just isn't happening and local people are being let down. This news is a kick in the teeth for patients, and for the doctors and nurses who work so hard and do such a brilliant job. Stepping Hill does not deserve this and people will want to know why it is happening.”
To sign the petition click here - http://www.lisasmart.org.uk/hospital