Thank you to everyone who has helped Stockport stay as one of the greenest boroughs in the country. Last year, Stockport residents recycled more than 60% of our household waste, putting us in the top 2% across England and Wales.
We can do even better though: here are five green resolutions for 2016
- Resolve to begin recycling if you don’t already. You can start small. Try putting aside your plastic bottles for your brown bin. Plastic bottles can take up to 500 years to decompose if they’re not recycled! Remember the only plastic we can recycle is plastic bottles.
- If you already recycle, then recycle more. Did you know, Aluminium foil may be easy to scrunch up and throw away but every last bit of it can be recycled in your brown bin.
- Resolve to purchase more items made from recycled materials. Paper towels, toilet paper, aluminium cans, cereal boxes, and many other paper products fall into this category. Even the clothes you wear can be made from recycled materials – Did you know, fleeces are made from plastic bottles?
- Resolve to recycle in all rooms, don’t just recycle in the kitchen, sort it in the bathroom too! You can help to boost your recycling by putting the right items in the right bins from your bathroom including shampoo bottles, shower gel containers and cardboard toilet roll inserts.
- Resolve to recycle all your paper and card in your blue bin, including all those unwanted Christmas cards. Recycling a tonne of paper spares 17 trees! If you’ve been inundated with junk mail this Christmas, contact the Mailing Preference Service to remove your name from mailing lists. Visit the website to register online or call 0845 703 4599.